Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Art of Hojo Undo

Bibliography:
Clarke, Michael. "The Art of Hojo Undo: Power Training for Traditional Karate." YMAA Publications. NH. 2009.

Review: This book was my introduction to Sensei Mike Clarke's efforts to provide traditional practice information to the world of Okinawan Karate-do. I had been introduced to these traditional implements of health, fitness and improvement while stationed at Camp Hansen Okinawa but I rather dabbled then made use in a serious fashion. After all, like most Americans the equipment in the special services gym were modern and had greater results.

I now understand that it was not those particular results that mattered it was the process and the connection, much like practice of kobudo, that connected me to the Okinawan Internal systems.

I find it like using free weights vs. weight machines ..... it is just different. I would advocate both actually, these ancient tools and the modern equipment.

This book as the next I will review, Shin Gi Tai, are outstanding and should be a part of your library if for no other reason than to learn of the culture, the beliefs and the traditions of those who came before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment