Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Japanese Art of War

Bibliography:
Cleary, Thomas. "The Japanese Art of War: Understanding the Culture of Strategy." Shambhala. Boston. 1992.

Review: I read the "art of war" long ago for the first time. I read it again many times after but one day I said that I should try and find out of the Japanese had their version of the art of war. I realized long ago as well that Miyamoto Musashi's book of five rings was, more or less, the art of war or swordsmanship that filled that bill but what if they had a book of war similar to Sun-tzu's art of war.

Leave it to good ole Amazon to have one and leave it to good ole Thomas Cleary to have seen the need for an English book on this exact subject, whalla and here is the book.

In order to address any comparison, etc. I would need to read it again. Till that time arrives again I can say that my feelings indicate it was an excellent book and worth the cost to add it to your library.

After my recent studies I am not sure it relates to the Chinese art of war or even the go-rin-no-sho but that does not matter for Mr. Cleary, much like Mr. DeMente, has extensive experience and knowledge that makes this book a value to your practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment