Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

Dirty Ground

Bibliography:
Wilder, Kris; Kane, Lawrence; MacYoung, Marc; Miller, Rory. “Dirty Ground: The Tricky Space Between Sport and Combat.” YMAA Publishing. New Hampshire. 2013.

Review: This is a definite addition to a person’s self-defense library. Self-defense as in any and all disciplines that would teach you how to defend yourself. The reason is simple, these guys provide you the information and knowledge necessary to tell the difference between sport, combat and that in between they call the “Drunkle.” 

I found valuable advice, etc. in the forwards then the introduction clarified many details for me that may have been missed even tho I have been studying this aspect for about a decade now. You may say to yourself that you have all the books these find authors have written and that this one can only cover the same stuff but you would be wrong. 

This is a new book that does something the others only allude to in their editions. This difference is critical to anyone who even thinks that what they practice is self-defense. The differences may seem either vague or non-existent but that “critical point” could mean the difference between freedom/life or incarceration/death. 


Come on, the price for either a paperback or the kindle is nothing compared to the value you will receive from the content of this book. And to think, I almost let this one go by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment