Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Real Fighting

Bibliography:
Quinn, Peyton. “Real Fighting: Adrenaline Stress Conditioning through Scenario-Based Training.” Paladin Press. Colorado. 1996.

Review: Mr. Quinn came to my attention through other books by such as Marc MacYoung, Rory Miller and Lawrence A. Kane. My interest was because I felt a huge gap between martial arts as a means of self-defense and reality based training with the goal of introducing to the martial arts community those concepts and perspectives necessary to bring any MA into the SD square (self-defense square coined by Mr. MacYoung).

Like the other authors, Mr. Quinn’s prose in this subject is colorful but solid as to conveying the content in a manner that makes it impressionable to those who feel, think and believe they are practicing reality based self-defense. Chock full of anecdotes and real-life stories he conveys the truth of fighting where a martial arts instructor can readily seeing the now glaring gaps in the study of things like karate. 

Stay tuned, more to come …..

No comments:

Post a Comment