Recommended reading for the martial arts. This is my personal library list. I practice Okinawan Te or "Ryukyu Ti." My system is derived from two others, one being the main influence of Shorin-ryu and the second Goju-ryu. The branch under Shorin-ryu is Isshin-ryu as developed by Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

I wanted to create a library reference blog where I can provide a listing of the books I have in my library, present and past (past in that some have been lost in transit over the years). I will provide a graphic, if available, a short description, if available, and the bibliography. When possible a link to Amazon will be provided.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon


Reader's of this Blog

Monday, June 22, 2015

Unfair

Bibliography:
Benforado, Adam. “Unfair: The New Science of Criminal Injustice.” Crown Publishing. Random House. June 2015.

Review: A very unique perspective of human nature with emphasis on how that affects our judicial system. A must read to the self-defense martial arts teacher and practitioner as a supplement in dealing with the aftermath, especially legal, when forced to use physical force in self-defense. I would add this book to the book by Marc MacYoung, In the Name of Self-Defense, as a gift to your attorney because this stuff is just like Mr. MacYoung’s stuff, something seldom known of and understood by attorneys. I have already formed a new view on video and photo evidence as it may be used and how it would effect those who make judgements in legal proceedings.

I just finished the book and have to say I got a ton of information out of it. I am not a professional nor a lawyer who has experience and knowledge of the world of self-defense, both reality and legal, and I would still want to vet this stuff with other professionals yet the base or essence of the material all apply in martial arts self-defense. I found a lot of what is provided validates other source material concerning the legal ramifications when you apply self-defense.

Another point of importance is knowing the in's-n-out's along with all the biases and human fallible traits that permeate the entire legal system helps to understand what you face when you apply self-defense. Since most legal professionals are in the system and often do not see those obstacles it helps you steer your attorney toward a better view when defending your self-defense. This is another excellent source of legal material that should be a part of your self-defense martial art library with one caveat, i.e., always and I mean always seek professional qualified legal advice before you have too.

Note: I always look to the bibliography to see what sources were used to write the book as a sort of validation as well as a means to verify and validate through other views, etc. and this book as seventy-four pages of bibliography. A lot of material to reference and use to verify and validate. The sources as to expert type research and so on lend a bit more validity to the studies, at least I find it beneficial.

Note II: The section where the author discusses human memory as it might apply is awesome, learned a lot about memory and the mind there but the one aspect that didn't appear is how that memory and mind work in the adrenal stress conditions of violence. I find it alludes to the minds foibles but not directly toward how the adrenal dump adds to those obstacles making them tougher to deal with especially when you have to defend your self-defense. Knowledge is power and this book gives you a bit more power as a teacher, practitioner and in the application of self-defense martial arts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment